The Foundation Of "New Haifa" In 1761 derived, mainly, upon security considerations .Dahar El Ommar, who ruled then the North of the country, was looking for an area to build a settlement that will defend the road leading from the South to Acco (Acre). Because of that, he selected the most narrow point between the coast and Carmel mountain. The settlement which he built, extended within the area, the heart of which is known today as Rabin's Government Center, in Pal-yam Street.
The boundaries of the "New City" may be found in the map, which is hereby the first exhibit.
El Ommar's settlement was surrounded by a thin wall, built of stones, of which there are no remains today.There were two gates in the wall. At the West, there was the Jaffa Gate, next to the Carmelite Church, which is located today At Paris Square. At the East there was the Acco Gate, Next to The Small Mosque, at the Eastern entrance to Natanzon St.(ex Omayah St.).In Addition, El Ommar built a tall observation tower, known by the name of Burg El Salam, at the fringe of what is known today by the name of "Memorial Park", nearby the Haifa City Hall.
Within the "New City", there were only few public buildings. The most prominent one was the district administration building, known by the name "Saraya", that was situated right on the coast line.
Following the establishment of the "New Haifa", on the one hand & the fading of Acco as an important district & trading center, on the other hand, there was an arising in the economy in Haifa & thus the New City attracted many people, among them rich merchants from Acco, who came to live within the walls of the city.
The departure of people out of the city walls, began already at the early sixties of the 19 century, and thus the wall was gradually dismantled.